Wednesday, February 10, 2016

The Art in Beauty

Kensington sits down with Beauty for Bloggers, Maritza Buelvas, to discuss… The Art of Beauty 

Maritza Buelvas is the kind of hairstylist that every girl dreams of having on her wedding day.  Drawing from both modern and classic influences, Buelvas infuses each style she performs with softness, romance, and whimsy.  Having been in the business for a respectable 10 years, this self-taught hair guru has drawn the attention of the most well-respected media publications in the beauty industry, including Glamour, Jessica Alba's Honest Company blog, LaurenConrad.com, and Cameron Diaz's Body Book, among many others. But this notoriety has not changed her grounded philosophy that a stylist must be a humble, attentive, and calming presence on one of the most important days of a client's life. With the perfect blend of intuition and know how, Buelvas creates inspired, innovative styles to suit the individuality and vision of each bride. Her attention to detail, and her respect for her clients is what makes her a truly extraordinary, sought-after artist. Here is a brief interview Kensington did with Buelvas, along with pictures from her portfolio, and contact information:


Kensington: What got you into this field?
Buelvas: The fact that I love doing hair (I could do it since the age of 5) and that I love romance--so weddings are a natural fit!

K: Did you have formal training? Or did you learn on the go?
B: I'm completely self taught. My mom is a sculptor and my aunt had her own successful beauty shop so I naturally get it from them!

K: What is your favorite element of the wedding/event industry?
B: Meeting a new batch of lovely clients every year and being a part of their special day. I also love learning and experiencing the new trends every year!


K: Do you have a favorite memory?
B: Two stick out: My own wedding day (I did my own hair) and the first wedding I ever did (the bride had no idea it was my first time doing a wedding).

K: Who are three beauticians you look up to/ inspire you? 
B: Oribe, Chris McMilllan, and Lisa Eldridge because she can do anything beauty related. I would love to meet her one day!!

K: What piece of advice would you give to a couple in choosing a beautician?
B: Artistry is key, but so is customer service. Go with your gut...you have to jive with that person. Stay away from artists who aren't authentic in their work and their approach.


K: What is that something special you give to your clients? 
B: My ear. I'm very attentive! I also personalize my approach and aesthetic to each individual client. I've been told I bring a calming presence to the big day.

K: What do you feel are the pros and cons of the wedding/event industry?
B: Pros: It's truly a magical industry.  Cons: The very early morning hours, having to work weekends, holidays...


K: What piece of advice would you give to an aspiring beautician? 
B: Practice your craft, be professional, be humble, and know that mutual client-artist respect is crucial from the first point of contact and especially on the wedding day!

K: Who is your favorite celebrity, what is their style, why is it your favorite?
B: Jennifer Aniston--polished, classic, beautiful. I love her hair, and her outlook. She's "America's Best Girlfriend"!


K: Where can potential clients/admirers find your work, and/or contact you?
instagram: for latest work follow @beautyforbloggers
email: maritzabuelvasdesigner@gmail.com
location: Near north suburbs, Chicago suburban
K: Is there anything about yourself/the business/the industry you would like to talk about?
B: I'm a published hair artist and accomplished beauty professional/writer. Here's my work for ​BHLDN that appeared on Glamour. My work has appeared on LaurenConrad.comBrit.co and Cameron Diaz's The Body Book Blog, Jessica Alba's Honest, Glamour, Beauty High, The Everygirl, Glitter Guide, Darling, Chalkboard Mag, SMP, Ruffled, WGN, NBC, Thoughtfully Magazine and more.





No comments:

Post a Comment